A History of No. 25 Fitzwilliam Place
Although No. 25 Fitzwilliam Place is one of the youngest houses on Dublin’s famous Georgian Mile, it is woven into the history of Dublin
courtesy not just of its architecture but also the families who have called in home since 1843.
- 1843 onwards
- 1947 - 1973
- 1980 - Early 2000's
1843No. 25 first appeared when the occupier William Watson III had acquired from the Hon. Sidney Herbert a lease for 150 years from the 25th of March 1841. William and his wife Sarah moved their young family into the house in 1843, bringing their children Margaret Sarah and William IV with them.
1844Over the next 10 years at No. 25 William III and Sarah went on to have four more children; Charles Moore born on 10 July 1844, Edward Watson circa 1847, Anne Agnes born on 18 April 1848, and Arthur John born on 15 July 1853. No. 25 remained in the care of William and Sarah […]
1885Sarah Watson passed away, William IV inherited the house and estates.
1901No. 25 was in the care of William IV; he is shown to be living here in 1901 with his children Edward and Janet, and in 1911 with Edward, Janet and her husband Henry Corley, as well as a Macartney niece.
1918After William IV passed away on March 9th the house moved to the care of his son Edward. Just over a month later Edward married Ina Read on April 24th in Roscrea with both then living in No. 25 until their deaths; Ina’s in 1941 and Edward’s in 1947.
1947-1973After Edwards death, the house passed to Ina’s brother Henry Marvell Read. Henry is notable as one of a select group of sportsmen who represented Ireland internationally in three separate sports – Rugby, Tennis and Cricket.
1960 – 1980Catherine Hughes and her family were some of the last residents to live in No. 25, living in the upper floors of the house. The lower floors were used as doctor’s surgeries, a link to Dr Edward Watsons work as chief radiographer at Sir Patrick Dun’s Hospital.
1980 – Early 2000’sNo. 25 was used for business purposes as part of the Bank of Ireland. It continued to be used for business purposes until the early 2000s.
2003The Kelly family purchased Fitzwilliam Hall and with it, No. 25 Fitzwilliam Place. Prior to their purchase of No. 25, it was being used for meeting rooms for the bank.
2012The Kelly family completed a refurbishment of No. 25, changing its purpose from meeting rooms to an event space. The Kelly family have maintained and improved the building since 2005, restoring it to its Georgian hey-day, and continuing the tradition of warmth and hospitality first shown by the Watsons in 1843.
Restored with Love
Renovated in 2012, the property has been lovingly restored and decorated to a classic yet contemporary style highlighting its original period features. No. 25 Fitzwilliam Place is full of intricate splendour from the era and every turn reveals a new surprise.